Scope & Camera

Hi,

I wonder if anybody could help me with some advice?  I am looking for a way to connect my first scope to a camera, so I can take photos of large objects like the moon, and so on.  However, I'm not too sure about the method for connecting the camera to the scope.

I have a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ scope, the camera is a Canon EOS 700D, and I have a Canon T2 adapter ring.

I can connect the T2 ring to the camera, but I am not sure how to connect to the scope with appropriate magnifying lenses, etc.  Can anybody advice if I need some further type of connector, and if so what?

Thanks in advance,

C

Hello and welcome to SGL. To attach the camera body to the telescope you need a t ring {already have) and a 1.25" nosepiece http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-125-inch-t-mount-camera-adapter.html. The camera is then attached to the focuser in place of the diagonal and eyepiece. I assume the 70az is the refractor model.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that.  I do indeed have the refractor model, and had been stumped by my apparent inability to link the t ring to the telescope - or more accurately, how to link them up and still include magnifying lenses.  I shall look into the nosepiece link you sent.

C

Hi 'cra1gwt' and welcome to SGL.  :hello2:

If you are after close-ups then an eyepiece projection unit, (EPU), too; such as these... http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope%20camera%20adapters.html

...The ones with the adjustable body will allow your camera lens or sensor to get close to the eyepiece and reduce vignetting. Should be good for lunar and solar, (always use a full aperture solar filter when taking photos of the Sun), and maybe the brighter planets, (Venus, Jupiter & Saturn). As the 'scope will be heavier at the camera end, it is going to need to balancing. Another thing to consider maybe a webcam attached to a laptop.

Archived