Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade 4000 40mm EP

Wardr77

Just curious as to peoples opinions on this EP. I appreciate it is not a high end EP but I wonder if anybody particularly likes this size? The reason I ask is that of the 4000 eyepieces I have, I struggle to find a use for this particular one, primarily due to the smaller FOV, 44 degrees as opposed to the 52 degrees on the others. As such I tend to use the 32mm / 26mm  mostly for DSOs and the others for planets /moon. Perhaps its just the case that some eyepieces work better with different telescopes! Hopefully at some point I will have managed to save enough to get a decent 82-100 degree EP, buts thats some way off and then I will have to fret about which size to get!!

For info I use these in a Meade 12" LX90.

The "use" for it wiil be to maintain the same field of view, as the 32mm, while getting a smaller image of the object, the smaller image being brighter therefore.

Seems somewhat questionable as if you need the smaller brighter image that a 32mm cannot give then your are limited to the 40mm, since it would seem that a 32mm is too dim.

Suppose that it might be useable on something like the N.A. nebula. With it being big and dim the image may fit in the field of view and should be a little brighter..

Suspect that objects where it has a distinct advantage over the 32mm are few and specific.

Thanks for the replies. Although the image is somewhat lighter compared with the 32, its not by much. Perhaps if the FOV was the same it would be nice for  sweeping about the sky, but the narrower FOV is very noticeable and a bit of a put off therefore not used. Maybe I'll look to swop it over for a 4000 20mm.

Archived