NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best settings for imaging saturn with NexImage burst CMOS

Hi All;

I am planning to take images of Saturn this weekend with my NexStar 8SE. My NexImage Burst color CMOS will be attached to a 2x Tele Vue barlow and I will attach a Baader filter to the Barlow. The barlow is attached to the visual back of my 8SE.

I am not sure what image capture settings to use in the iCAP software. My initial thoughts are 5000 frames at 30 fps. This gives me 2.8 minutes of exposure time. will this be problematic?

As far a gain and exposure go - I am not sure, but I will adjust them until the exposure looks good I guess. In this forum I have people refer to keeping the histogram at 70%. Is that a better way to control exposure?  Although I have to admit I really dont understand this or how to go about it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Gene

Start at f/10, as the pixels are alread small and the planet is dim. Go with f/20 only if the conditions are good. I keep my AVIs at no slower than 30 FPS so sometimes the gain must be nearly max to get good histogram fill for it.

I'd agree with leaving the Barlow off as it is pretty dim so consequently the fps will be low (or gain high) ... Get a decent small image under your belt ,then try larger later ... Good luck

Archived