Sky watcher EQ5 and SynScan Pro GoTo upgrade

Hi,

I've got the EQ5 mount and intend fitting the SynScan Pro GoTo Kit.

It's going to cost just short of £300, a considerable sum, Ind I wondered if anyone has experience of fitting this upgrade ?

So far I haven't found anyone who has nor any youtube video.

Any comments will be most welcome.

Clear skies

Ian 

Probable not too relevant, but I have just fitted a synscan upgrade to a Vixen Great Polaris Mount. Pretty easy to do  and has transformed my use of this mount. Just completed attaching an EQDIR control dongle to bypass the handset, even better.

Recommended highly

Thanks for your reply - it has obviously been beneficial to you, you say it has transformed your mount !

I've taken the plunge, been to the local emporium and placed an order. Not parted with any hard-earned cash yet but it's only a matter of a couple of days when it gets delivered !

I'm sure it will be a worthwhile investment

Ian

Hi Hipster

The only video I found was on U tube for converting a Vixen GP mount with synscan.

Whilst not exactly an EQ5 like you have the two mounts are almost twins. In fact Synta (skywatcher EQ5 and  Celestron CG5) copied the Vixen GP.  Just ignore the waffle about removing the Vixen MT1 motors as you are starting from scratch. Its a lot better than the poor instructions that synta give you.

Just pay attention to the mesh of the gears when positioning the motor. Not too tight not too slack and aligned ( motor shaft parrallel to the worm shaft. When I first did mine the worm wheel was a little too tight and it binded causing the motor to stall. Just need to take off the motor again and adjust the worm backlash.

Otherwise its just put the cover over the motors and connect up. As mine was a Vixen it needed a wee shaving off the inside of the cover for the 2 halves to meet, but as you have the genuine Skywatcher it should fit out of the box.

Frederick

I had the American version. It was a good mount, I just decided to go ALT/AZ instead.

The above advice is spot on, and I will add one more piece; be very careful when you go to attach the hex bolt to motor thru the body of the mount. Mine fell off the hex key and it took me almost an hour to get it back out. Use magnetized tools if you can (I ended up putting rare-earth magnets on one end of a hex key to hold the bolt on).

Sent from 80ms in the future

Much peace

Jimmy

Archived