Brightest seasons?

This is my first year 'practicing' astronomy, and I noticed a huge shift from Winter's constellations to Spring's. Which seasons offer the apparent brightest/least brightest stars? Here in LA I can see maybe... 50 stars right now, if I look really hard. In winter it was probably more like 500. 

Well in winter, the sky gets darker, so you will see more stars and objects than you will in summer where it doesn't get so dark.

In terms of actual brightness of stars, summer has the summer triangle which includes Vega, Deneb and Altair, but the brightest star in our sky is Sirius, which is just below Orion so is a 'winter star'.

I'll admit I didn't fully understand the question, but hopefully that did something towards answering it lol.

Matt.

Well in winter, the sky gets darker, so you will see more stars and objects than you will in summer where it doesn't get so dark.

In terms of actual brightness of stars, summer has the summer triangle which includes Vega, Deneb and Altair, but the brightest star in our sky is Sirius, which is just below Orion so is a 'winter star'.

I'll admit I didn't fully understand the question, but hopefully that did something towards answering it lol.

Matt.

I didn't mean specific stars, I was more referring to the 'overall' brightness of all the constellations. Like, which seasons have the highest amount of bright constellations. Like winter for example has Auriga, Orions, Perseus, Cassiopeia, to name a few. Seems like there's super bright constellations everywhere in winter. Now it's spring and all I can see is the big dipper, gemini, and a few random scattered stars! So I'd say winter is the brightest, and spring is the least bright, but I have no experience in summer or fall :) I'm curious if those are 'brighter' than spring, if that makes sense. Just trying to get a sense of what's to come. Probably a dumb question in the first place so don't feel bad :)

Quick look at a chart (4) that I have listing the sky by season then Summer+Winter have the larger number of constellations visible. Each of those diagrams has more constellations numerically. But not by much.

Constellations like Virgo, Libra and Bootes are around in the Summer chart but the stars in them are less distinct, and the sky tends to remain brighter so they are at a disadvantage.

For Summer Cygnus and Lyra are the main 2 but also Hercules and the end of Leo.

Not sure what you can see that is more Siouth then we are, I see that Saggitarius and Scorpio are clipping the southern horizon for us but likely better positioned for you.

Archived