Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece projection vs prime focus with a barlow

Is there any reason to prefer eyepiece projection over prime focus with a barlow, or vice versa, if I am trying to get a larger image scale?

I was looking at the options and a decent 2" apochromatic barlow will cost me a couple of hundred. On the other hand a Baader Hyperion would cost me £95, with a set of extension tubes I can use it to get a range of image scales, they are threaded for a direct connection to a camera under the eyecup and I can still use it as an eyepiece if I am not imaging. I am looking at 2" options because if I use a 2" barlow it makes connection to the scope and camera easier.

So is there any good reason why eyepiece projection doesn't seem to get mentioned very often as an imaging option?

So is there any good reason why eyepiece projection doesn't seem to get mentioned very often as an imaging option?

The simple answer is yes.

You are creating a false dilemma. You are comparing eyepiece projection with an expensive apochromatic 2" barlow. However, an inexpensive 1.25" barlow will still give you better results and easier mounting than an eyepiece + extension tubes.

Archived