NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good Locations.

Due to the fact i cannot get out in the week at all very often or attend clubs they meeting weekday evenings am struggling to find Safe and dark locations safe as in not getting seen and visited by the less pleasant who happen to be driving by and catch a glimpse of someone stood in a field alone and of course Stuck :shocked: . Upto now it has been hide the van behind a not to high a  edge sort of thing. I live in Lincolnshire, Grimsby to be precise , so any local know of a decent viewing area that as no restrictions so to speak, be much appreciated if you could share  the secret :smiley: . Many thanks folks for any help here.

There is Cleethorpes but I assume you know of them, they do not mention observing specifically.

What they may do is have a club night and a seperate observing night, I know of a club that has that arrangement.

East Lincs meet at Asterby and observe at Gibralter Pt, looks a fair drive however.

Check out the web site: http://www.lincsastro.co.uk

The other 2 clubs are Lincoln and Spalding, which are further away.

There is (maybe) one at Hull, just cannot make out any details, the club details are presented as a forum website. www.heras.org.uk/

Also one at Beverly: http://www.astrogen.karoo.net/era_index.html

I see that East Lincs say they came from East Midlands Stargazers but Gibralter Pt and Skegness is a bit more then most would describe as East Midlands, next place East is North Holland.

@ronin,

ELAC are hosted from the EMS website, they do not come from East Midlands,  ELAC stands for East Licolnshire Astronomical Club not East Midlands Stargazers. They are their own entity and have decent number of members  in the East Licolnshire area. Beverly  is in Yorkshire!!! Last time I checked Grimsby is East Lincolnshire. any further east = wet feet.

Clicking the link in my post above takes you to the hosted part of ELAC, not east midlands stargazers.

Damian, all I did was read the About page, first line says:

The East Lincolnshire Astronomy Club was founded in March 2012 when four members of the East Midlands Stargazers forum got talking online. We decided to meet up somewhere local for a night of astronomical observing.

I was "puzzled" as Skrgness is sort of a long way from what I would call East Midlands, however the above is what ELAC state and my assumption was they know their own history.

Beverly may be Yorks (I can actually read a map, parents live in Yorks, and it was from reading a map that I mentioned Beverly) the distance is compariable or less then Skegness, and the roads look better so the trip to Beverly may be less or easier then to Skegness, the A16 South is not a fast or easy road, whereas the A180 and the A15 over the bridge is. To visit Scartho I tend to use the A1, M180 because the roads are a lot quicker, from experience heading North from Grimsby is easier. Stev55 is not restricted from travelling outside of Lincolnshire so I did not just look at Lincolnshire, I live in Cambridge but there are clubs in Herts and Beds that are easy to access, and I do. Baggywinkle when he lived in Ely Cambs travelled to the Norwich Club for his astronomy. That is more then Grimsby to Beverley. I have access to clubs in Cambs, Herts, Beds, Essex even been to London to BSIA.

For all I know Stev55 may, like friends I have just outside Grimsby, Scartho, work over the bridge and so then Beverley is much closer then Grimsby so they could have scope in car and go observing after work. Maximise time, minimise travel if it is possible.

I've been pondering going to the North Lincs Astro society and the Beverley group. They meet at the South side of the bridge and in Beverley Westwood respectively.

Can't speak for Grimsby but plenty of areas along the Wolds Way would make good viewing spots if that sort of distance was realistic.

Am certainly going to join the Elac, they meet Saturdays which is perfect for me  working weekday nights and the wolds where they meet is very good, i was unknowingly 5/ 10 mins from there little club house on the farm they use  on Friday .

Archived