NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

looking for a new mount - AZ-EQ6 Synscan Goto ?

glowingturnip

Hi All,

So I think I've finally managed to talk my other half round to letting me upgrade my mount !

I'm thinking about the AZ-EQ6 Synscan Goto, but would be keen to hear people's thoughts on this, and in comparison to other mounts in the same price bracket.

I'll be using it for primarily imaging (with a 150mmx750mm newt).  It needs to be semi-portable (enough so that I can lug it about 15m to my terrace and back) but will eventually live on a pier.  I like Synscan and would prefer not to get involved in Eqmod if possible, and I've had reasonable success guiding via Ascom pulse-guiding rather than ST4 so again would prefer to stay with that, so am probably looking at a Skywatcher mount, but would be open to listening to alternatives.

I believe this mount has belt-drive already installed, which would be a plus, but I'm thinking that the alt-az mode sounds a bit of a gimmick and I can't imagine I'd ever be using it.  What do people think about this mount vs say the HEQ5 Pro, or NEQ6, or others ?

All opinions gratefully received !

Cheers,

Archived