EQ5 Synscan out by a mile?!

Tonight, i had a play with my new EQ5 Pro Synscan. This is the first computerised mount i have had (Not the first equatorial though!). I am totally confused. I aligned the pole using the built in polar scope, sighted it in the scope. I then chose 1 star alignment as i was just doing some light viewing with the kids. After alignment Jupiter was out bright so the kids wanted to see it, so i picked solar system and chose Jupiter....it slewed round and missed Jupiter by about 15deg. Annoyed, i redid the alignment with 2 stars. Sirius and Arcturus were out and bright from early on, so i chose those, aligned the scope and finally chose Jupiter again. This time it slewed round and pointed somewhere between the pole and Venus!!! Thats not even funny how far out that was. Kids got bored, i was annoyed so i gave up for tonight.

Not sure what I am doing something wrong here, i followed all the procedures... Ideas?

Hi,

A 15 deg error is = 1 hr error... have you forgotten to set the handset to YES for BST (+1hr)?

Did you go back to home position (park mount then unpark) before doing your 2 star alignment?

Both easily forgetten when under pressure from the kids. :rolleyes:

Just a thought.

Keep Happy.

Sandy. :grin:

Heh, under pressure from the kids is right!

I set the time and date correct, allowed for BST, and parked before doing the second alignment. Yep, i also noticed that the Date is in US format!

I will give it another go when the kids are in bed and the Mrs is home, on my own tonight so probably not the best time to be mucking around with a new mount :grin:

Thanks for the help!

Once you have all the data input correctly, do a 1 star align and once the scope has stopped slewing, undo the clutches and move it to centre the star it should be pointing at, tighten the clutches and you should be good for other GoTo objects, all your doing is pointing the mount where it thinks it is, there are no encoders in the mount so it doesn't know you what you have done, as you get used to doing the PA things will get better......

Archived