NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 127 slt problem fixed.

Hello all,

I just wanted to detail a fix I have done on my Celestron MAK127

I noticed the last couple of times that I used the scope that there was a few millimetres (maybe a whole centimetre) of play in the end of the OTA which made tracking really really difficult.  Well as I have had the scope over 2 years and I suspected it was out of warranty I decided to try and fix it myself.

After taking the battery cover off you will find these four screws.  Remove these.

post-11446-0-07895500-1427281636_thumb.j

You will then find this bolt which also needs to be removed being careful not to loose the washers and the bearing underneath.  I also took the bolt off the bottom of the whole assembly but on reflection I don't think this needs to removed. 

post-11446-0-49909200-1427281653_thumb.j

Underneath you will find a large gear and a small gear.  If you look at my little video you will see the play that I had in the assembly.  

LINK TO VIDEO ON YOUTUBE    Apologies for the dodgy camera work and the heavy breathing! 

The fix was to tighten the two screws which can be seen in the video holding the large gear in place.  I don't think these had been tightened correctly when the telescope was originally manufactured.

Once I put everything back together it is now as solid as a rock again. 

I hope this helps anyone with a similar scope.  

The fix was nice and easy and only took half an hour.

Thanks

Paul

Archived