SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Got a 40mm T mount plossl "by accident" . . . now what?

I think this post is part confession and part open question

- have always been a mechanical kit junky and love nicely made photo gear (ie metal body, manual focus stuff), record players (inc my beautiful Townshend) etc, etc

Anyhow Astro stuff seems to be a mixture of lovely engineering (at a price) and err, cheaper . . . tat stuff. Picked up some Revelation Astro things recently and they are so nice to hold and behold, I am definitely a fan - even if it isn't the best optical kit in the world  :grin:

Which leads me to a recent, possibly rash, purchase. Got me a 40mm Revelation Plossl thingy with sliding mount and T thread for less than the cost of the 32mm I was actually thinking would be useful. The 40mm is just so nicely made it had to go in the collection . . . and now I need to find a good use for it or I will be in (domestic) trouble . . .

Having tinkered with web cam and afocal photography using a digiscope adaptor gadget the logical next step is probably to get an adaptor or two and try some digicams on it. My guess is the older ones I have might work better than the latest multi megapixel ones. But then again am I going to need a 3x (or more) Barlow to actually see much . . .

Hoping it is useful rather than just pretty (fnar fnar)

Archived