NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ha with a DSLR

griz11

Ok I finally was able to get some subs using the 6nm clip in Ha filter. Hard to focus I think I'll try doing it without the filter and then putting it in next time. Might not be perfect but it will be close so it won't take so long to get it right.

Now a couple of questions. How do you produce the final shot? Do you debayer it then separate out the red channel? I tried it that way and it looks ok but since this is my first time I really don't know how to handle them. I was surprised when the first one came up on the computer thinking it would be monochrome then seeing this nice red image :) And is there a rule of thumb on how long to expose? I went for 20 min tonight and its clearly not enough the clouds are showing up but they are very grainy still so I suspect I need more exposure. Only had time for 3 shots before the dew fell really bad. The RH was 97% when I set up and it didn't go down much. Its been raining hard here for days so everything is saturated. Wasn't supposed to clear up until 3 or 4 in the morning but by luck it cleared early and I was able to test out the new filter.

The new servos and controller track great. Better than the steppers. And it sure is nice to zip from target to target. Pretty accurate I haven't done any modeling yet but it was putting everything close to the center. Pulse guiding sure doesn't take as long to calibrate either. Still not sure I have the guiding speed set properly yet. You have to calculate ticks to set it up and I'm not the best at math. Seems to be overshooting just a bit at times but overall the tracking was excellent all night. So anyways any tips or pitfalls you care to share I'm all ears.

Griz

Archived