Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar eclipse transition (filtered + unfiltered) from near Worcester, England

KennySharp

Following an evening of analysis paralysis trying to figure out where in the country I could drive to from Orpington, Kent and have a high probability of seeing cloud free skies, I eventually headed out towards the Malvern Hills in the midlands near the North Wales border with a 4am start. However, en route, just southwest of Birmingham, checking the cloud cover, I decided heading further south from there was too risky and so turned further west. I found an excellent looking site offroad next to an ornate village church in Claines. After a brief stop/scout, I decided it was still looking like the clouds would not clear and so headed out further west. With minutes to go until the start of the eclipse I stumbled on Witley Court Gardens & Church tearoom. Still overcast but I had no choice any longer, I had to stay here and make the best of it.

Timelapse of the solar eclipse over approximately 2 hours. The first 20 minutes of the eclipse were unfortunately clouded out (so missing from the sequence) but shortly after the heavens cleared to reveal a beautiful blue sky. Canon 600D. Each eclipse snap is at 23mm, f/13mm, 1/1000th sec, ISO-800 through a home made Baader Astrosolar filter. 4 minute interval between each snap. Stacked in Startrails. A final snap was taken from the same camera position, without the filter, to grab the foreground which was blended into the eclipse sequence in Adobe Photoshop CS2.

16690678689_ca2567f882_b.jpg

Solar Eclipse (filtered and unfiltered stacked) by Kenny Sharp, on Flickr

Archived