NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Portable Mount with goto

I'm after advice on a getting a portable mount for visual use that I can get out and setup quick for when those gaps in the cloud appear and will also not take up too much room for storage.

I would like something that will support at least a Takahashi TOA 120, but will also use with a ED80 and have goto.

Have been considering a Ioptron Mini Tower Pro as it looks like it can be packed down easy for storage and quick to have setup or could even leave setup and carry out side and then attach the scope but have come across some mixed reviews regarding quality control, gps issues and jumps in the gears.

Would like something reliable that doesn't need lots of fiddling with and can get going quickly.

Also been looking at a Skywatcher HEQ5 as it looks like a good all rounder through possibly take longer to get going and aligned though it may be of size I can leave setup and carry outside and then attach the scope

Budget wise, not sure, just want some ideas to consider the different options and pros/cons of different mounts out there.

Cheers

It's the go to that will take the time in setting up a mount. Do you really need it ? If it's just for visual and you learn your constellations or better still use an App on for your phone you could get away with a AZ mount. The AZ 4 on aluminium legs would be worth considering. Very quick to set up and not too heavy. ( cost about £ 170 )

Skywatcher also do an AZ GOTO mount

Apps to consider are Sky Safari or Sky Walk.

Before you abandon goto if you want it get it.

My concern is that that is what you asked for and it likely means that there is a reason for it.

Simply it is very useful, set up time is all of 3 to 5 minutes, it is not going to half your observing period.

One drawback is you need power. OK if at home, bit more involved if stood in the middle of nowhere.

For all that is said I find that 80%, or more, of scopes in clubs are goto's.

Archived