Meade super plossl and Meade 4000 - same thing?

Looking at eyepieces at the moment, am I correct in thinking that something described as a Meade Super Plossl is the same as a Meade 4000 series?

To help me make sure that the reviews that Im reading match the eyepieces I think they do.  Looking at longer sizes 20->32mm

(supplimentary Q - are they same as or better than Celestron elux?)

Thanks

The history of Meade 4000 eyepieces is long and complex. Originally (20+ years ago) they were made in Japan and had an additional lens element. Today they are a conventional 4 element plossl design and made in China. There have been a number of steps in between these points !

"Super Plossl" today does not mean much. Maybe blackened lens edges and fully multi-coated rather than un-blackened and just fully coated ?. Not that these differences make a huge difference.

Overall I think even the current 4000's  maybe a small step up from the Celestron ELux plossls in performance terms. Only small differences though.

Archived