Recommended beginner accessories Orion XT8

Hello,

I'm thinking about getting an 8" dobsonian, the Orion XT8, I've had binoculars for a few months and am fiending to see furthur.

I'm pretty settled on the Orion XT8,

and am wondering what I 'need' to get started for awhile.

It comes with a pretty shoddy finder from what I've read, so I initially wanted to get a telrad finder, but found those aren't good for light pollution, which I have plenty and more of. Now I'm thinking of either a 9x50 straight through or a right angle corrected image

1) Why is the RACI more 'comfortable' to use? Does it just flip the image vertically and then horizontally? The view in the finder will be differently orientated than in the eyepiece with the RACI scope right? I'm not sure which to get.

2) It comes with a 25mm eyepiece. I want to get either a 2x and/or a 3x barlow, and maybe another eyepiece. What size should I get? From what I've learned the 25mm will give me about 50x mag and 100x with the barlow. What are the 'recommended' mag's that I want for a beginner? My main 'goals' will be galaxies/dso's mostly and planetary/moon viewing.

3) As far as collimation goes, do I need one of those fancy $65 laser collimaters, or will the $20 Celestron one's that I've seen work fine? 

Thanks!

Figured I'd also mention that the focal length of the XT8 is 1200mm. If I'm not mistaken the 'max' magnification is 400x for the XT8 correct? What's my 'top end' of mag. in a super light polluted place? I was thinking probably ~200x as I've read light pollution + deep mag. don't go together well. Thanks 

Although the XT8 is a very good choice I went with the Orion Skyline 8". It comes with three notable upgrades, ssving a bit of money lster...

Laser collimater

Crayford focuser

Angled finder 8x50.

We collimated our 'scope in about ten.minutes with the laser. Crayford allows fine focus from the get-go. Finder works fine.

Other than this, I bought a 2x barlow and a 7mm EP, both Celestron X-Cel LX models. In either case, you will enjoy viewing the heavens.

Although the XT8 is a very good choice I went with the Orion Skyline 8". It comes with three notable upgrades, ssving a bit of money lster...

Laser collimater

Crayford focuser

Angled finder 8x50.

We collimated our 'scope in about ten.minutes with the laser. Crayford allows fine focus from the get-go. Finder works fine.

Other than this, I bought a 2x barlow and a 7mm EP, both Celestron X-Cel LX models. In either case, you will enjoy viewing the heavens.

I like what I see so far. Is that right angle scope image corrected or mirror image? I think it says it's RACI but it's unclear.

I will say it looks 'nicer' than the XT8. The XT8 has a Crayford focuser as well. 

Thanks for the link, I think this will actually save me about $120-160.

Archived