NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoviewer and focussing?

Just ordered a WO binoviewer from FLO today and I'm itching to use it in my scopes as I've read many favourable comments on them and they have been on my most wanted list for quite some time. I plan to use them mainly in my C6sct, but would like to know if it would still be possible to use the binoviewers in my 12" Skyliner newt' and 102 short tube refractor. The bino's come with the 1.6x barlow with is suppost to help focus, but would it make a difference which focuser I use? For instance the Skyliner has the standard crayford, but I do have a 'low profile' Antares crayford I could fit instead. So my first question I'd appreciate guidance on is;

-Which focusser would it be better to use in order to possibly help acheive focus on the newt'?

-My second poser is concerning the sct and bino's and even though I will find out in dew course, will I be able to use my new WO 2" star diagonal or will I have to use a 1.25" diagonal which I have but only the cheap kind you might use as a replacement for a golf ball on a driving range?

Also, can binoviewers be used and if so would they be any good with a good quality prism diagonal for daytime viewing as I like to use scopes night and day?

And lastly has anyone got any experience using binoviewers, especially the WO ones, as more experienced sgl members probably have a keener eye for discerning observations made using different optical equipment. [simply put, are the views through binoviewers special?]

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

Well, I cannot speak for the William Optics Binoviewers (but I'm sure they will be of excellent quality), however, I recently bought a set of "Astro Engineering" binoviewers from "Scopes n Skies." These binoviewers have proved very good in my Skywatcher 90mm Maksutov. (Using the 25mm eyepieces which came with them).

4828_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4829_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4830_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4831_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

My "diagonal" has only one locking screw, and as the binoviewers are quite heavy, I was worried that the one screw would not hold them tight enough. But I needn't have worried. They hold fine - at any angle.

I found that I didn't need a Barlow as the Mak seems to have plenty of "in focus" travel to allow the binoviewers to focus. Also the "collimation" of the two individual eyepieces was easy enough. I have yet to try them out on my Skywatcher 200mm Newt (with a single speed Crayford focuser fitted). Also on my TAL100RS.

I'm would think your Williams Optics will be similar. I think it is a case of try and see with these things.

Finally, when I first saw the moon with the binoviewers (using the 25mm eyepieces) I was completely stunned! The view was fantastic. In my opinion you cannot beat seeing with two eyes!! I tried viewing the Moon without the binos fitted to the Mak, and it wasn't the same anymore. I quickly put the binoviewers back on. I also saw Saturn (with the 25mm eyepieces), and again, the view was stupendous. I could detect a tiny, tiny softening of the image, but it was only just about detectable. The "stereo" view more than compensated though - no question about it. I can't wait to try them with my other two scopes.

I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

Best wishes,

philsail1

Thanks for the answers so far.. Gaz, it looks like I've probably got another reason to get round to adapting and fittng that low profile crayford on the Skyliner. Its been sat in a cabinet for a while now and I know it would perform that bit better than the standard focuser, but if theres a chance of the bv's being used with the 12" newt' then I best get tinkering!

Philsail1, I saw a previous post of yours about binoviewers and that was the kick up the rear for me to finally get some myself as its one of the accesssories I've been really curious about for some time. From what you say with your experience of bv's, I'm now more curious and excited than ever! I looked at various brands of 'lower priced' bv's, but after just receiving a William Optics 2" carbon fibre diagonal, I was struck by its fit/finish and optical quality, so I decided to spend the extra few quid and go with a WO bv. This leads me on to, if anyone can still give me a nod as to wether I'll have any issues when using a 2" 90 degree diagonal as apposed to a 1.25" in my sct I'd be interested to know? I won't be 'allowed' to see/use them till the 7th of April [my birthday]. Also, if anyone has any experience or knowledge with using prism diagonals with bv's [would I have any negative issues if I only use them for terrestial observing, bearing in mind I'd still be hankering after a quality image], then I would appreciate the further advice...

Thanks, Rob.

Hello Rob,

Yes, I forgot to mention - at present I'm using the cheapish mirror diagonal which came with the 90mm Mak. (and as you know, I am impressed!). I've also used my binoviewers on terrestrial subjects, and they have performed equally as impressive. It is just as if you are looking through a quality pair of powerful binoculars.

Best wishes,

philsail1

Archived