skywatcher 130 explorer

I have a second hand skywatcher 130 explorer, it was in very good condition (only used a few times) then stored in a box. The person got it in 2012 I got it a few months ago.

My question is: there is no centre dot and wanted to add one so I can one day learn how to collimate! I removed the mirror in its cell and noticed the mirror clips have black rubber glue holding them to the side of the mirror, would it be wise to take out the screws and remove the rubber glue? I don't want to take it off then find it was serving a purpose :/ any help would be of great help!

Thanks.

The first question is, does the scope actually need collimating ?  How are the views ?  Does Jupiter look nice and sharp when high in the sky at around 100 - 125x magnification with obvious cloud belts ?   How does an out of focus star test look at medium to high power, are the out of focus rings concentric when in the centre of field of view ?

If it passes the above basic checks, then there's a good chance collimation is close enough :smiley:

There's no need to remove the mirror from the cell to add a centre spot.  With the cell and mirror removed as a unit from the tube, a paper circle with a central hole ( used very carefully so you don't damage the mirror ) can be your guide to add a centre spot.   A paper reinforcing ring works ok for that, the type that are used after a hole punch for a ring binder, but loads of options as a substitute.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks for the reply!

Jupiter was pretty crisp and clear the last few observing nights, its gone a bit down hill at late but I don't want to touch anything in case its just bad seeing, as it has been really icy lately.

I keep the scope set up in the shed and the scope has had the odd little knock while taking it out so just hope I haven't messed up the collimation, when doing a star test it looks pretty spot on, but Jupiter was a bit blurred last night.

I would like to add a dot just in case and I'm sure I will need to learn at some point in the future.

I've just got an ra motor and like taking videos just want it as good as it can be for imaging and all that lark aha

Anyway thanks again for the reply!

Will take it all into account!

I have an explorer 130 and last night I found that things started to look a little odd after a few hours. Had a quick peek down the tube and could see condensation on the primary. Might be something to bear in mind next time if conditions appear to get worse over the course of an observing session.

Twiggles! How are you finding your skywatcher 130 for views and stuff? I was fully amazed when I first saw Jupiter!!!! :0 it was below freezing, and had ice on the ground, I think although it was a clear-ish sky there may have been fog because the stars looked (how do I explain it) missty almost.

I really do like mine, but as I have become more interested in plantary imaging I constantly find myself looking at maks and better mounts! That said, I still enjoy the views this thing has given me and love finding new targets that you think might not be possible, but given the right conditions they are. Jupiter is good, saturn is ok (have also seen it through a 200 and that was more impressive!), caught mars last year. Seen the double cluster, crab nebula (man that thing is small!), andromeda, orions nebula, whirlpool galaxy, venus... all sorts that only a couple years ago before I bought this thing I had never seen except on photographs. For its price point and what its given me I really can't complain.

Archived