Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon 7000/7100 Hutec Light Pollution Filter Lens Compatibility – Any experiences?

Hello!

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on getting a Hutec Light Pollution filter for my Nikon D7100.  For now, it’s the most viable option in my pursuit for astrophotography.  I read on the website that while the filter will install nicely, “*Nikon lenses which protrude more than 8.7 mm into the camera body are not compatible with front filters.”

Does anyone have any experience with a Hutec filter for a Nikon and which lenses were deemed incompatible due to the aperture pin that protrudes down?  I have a feeling my 12-24mm lens will not work due to the pin being too long, but I have hope with my 80-200mm lens.  I do, however; have a 1.4x teleconverter that does not have the pins to worry about, yet wouldn’t the use of the teleconverter harm my image quality?

Alternatively, if it doesn’t work, couldn’t I use a Nikon AF-1 gel filter holder or a Nikon F-Bayonet mount extension ring to create the room needed?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I’m anxious to find a solution to killing the light pollution I contend with even 40 miles away from the metro area in my dark sky location.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Archived