Is the easy fix always the wrong choice?

wuthton

I was a very happy owner of a Moonlight motorised focuser up until early January when it started mis-behaving. All the numbers from the autofocus pointed to the drawtube slipping so I gave it a quick tighten which appeared to fix the problem.

Roll on to tonight.... I swapped out my reducer/flattener for my flattener and gave the the focus a manual tweak to get it close and errr, ahhh, rather than a smooth glide the action was... well... crunchy. One of the front roller bearings had failed which in it's self is not much of a problem but after several nights use it has now gouged a healthy chunk out of the drawtube.

Note to self:- when some thing is not right check the problem thoroughly.

I'm now off to arrange a replacement drawtube  :embarassed: .

post-11453-0-98241700-1423075197_thumb.j

Ouch !!! :sad:

One of the good things about Moonlite is that you can contact them direct and they will supply parts for a reasonable amount. I had to replace one of the bearings on my ML focuser and for a few $'s they supplied 6 spares plus some other bits. Very helpful and mine was a very old unit as well.

Ouch !!! :sad:

One of the good things about Moonlite is that you can contact them direct and they will supply parts for a reasonable amount. I had to replace one of the bearings on my ML focuser and for a few $'s they supplied 6 spares plus some other bits. Very helpful and mine was a very old unit as well.

That's good to hear, I'm hoping they'll be accommodating on the cost of a replacement as it's only three months old and the damage is not entirely my fault.

Archived