NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Drift-Aligning a CG-4 mount

Joel Shepherd

I made my first attempt at drift alignment last week. Must have done something right because the photographic results were much improved, but there's room for improvement.

I struggled with making fine adjustments to the declination of my CG-4 (this: http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/mounts-and-tripods/omni-cg-4-mount-telescope , with the Celestron motor kit). Adjustments are made with two plain steel bolts that (so far as I can tell) push against a moon-shaped chunk of steel to change the angle of the mount. I'm sure there's lots of friction, flex and so on ... at least it certainly seemed that way. I really couldn't tell if I was moving the mount in the direction I wanted or by how much.

Does anyone have any suggestions -- either in terms of technique or modifications I can make to the mount -- to make fine-tuning the declination a more controlled process? I'm hoping for the equivalent of the plastic washer trick for collimation but I'll take anything I can get.

Thanks! -- Joel.

I should be very careful how you use the screws, they are commonly know on the forum as bendy bolts and you could cause damage to the mount. Made from what the Chinese regard as steel :D Good replacements in stainless steel can be had at a price from some Astro outlets, can`t quite remember which, my memory banks are beginning to fail me :mad:. The other alternative is to make them from stainless threaded rod, obtainable in short lengths from the Bay. Check the thread size, which I believe will be 8mm. You will need to cut to length, shape and round one end till polished smooth in an electric drill, Araldite a suitable knob on the other, job done and saving a few pounds in the process :)

Yeah, I did a search before posting this and saw a number of references to the flexy screws the mount comes with. So, I guess I will do a bit of hunting for replacements. I considered epoxying plastic disks to the end of the bolts and may go that route as well.

Looking at the mount again last night, my description was incorrect. The surface the bolts press against is actually flat and apparently "swings" back and forth to raise/lower the scope. Which got me thinking that if I know what direction I need to correct in, I can just loosen the bolt on one side (the side I want it to move in) and use the other to push it into place (as opposed to repeatedly backing off and tightening, which seemed to be causing trouble).

Thanks! -- Joel.

Archived