New telescope user BK1309 EQ2 - Any decent outdoor covers ?

I have had a general interest in the night sky, nothing major, just bought the odd book on stars and astronomy and been curious what is out there. My parents must have viewed the books on my bookcase as they bought me a Sky Watcher BK 1309 EQ2 telescope for Christmas and once built I notice how huge it is. I know it is only a beginner one but it seems to be very big still and well built. They purchased it with a motor for £80 new all in, no idea how it was so well priced, so they never expected anything quite so huge. I think they were predicting a small out the window desk based one for that price. The trouble with me is unless I am 100% in to something then I tend to forget to use something, if for instance I had a treadmill folded up somewhere it would probably become a clothes horse unless I am fully committed to exercise. To keep this telescope I either will need to dismantle and fold it up, or keep it outside. If I have it kept outside in the back garden I know I will use it much more and it will give me more motivation. Obviously if I use it once and get addicted that is different, but at this precise moment in time I have no idea if it will be "my thing" or not. So simply speaking I am looking for a outdoor cover kept all year round in south UK weather, fairly well protected garden with trees and hedges. 

I have seen the 365 covers by Telegizmo but most cost more than the telescope did CLICK HERE. I have heard some people out there use chair stacking covers for £10, but I get the feeling they are not 365/27 use ? The best one I have seen for a decent price is the Green Witch at £29.99. I have contacted them about it but know they are not back until 5th January CLICK HERE.

What do people here suggest ? Would stacked chair ones like this work as well as the ventilated Green Witch one ? CLICK HERE

I have yet to take the telescope outside, but I will do this weekend. This sounds an extremely stupid question, but do I use the lens up by the end of the scope for all viewing ? Or the big end ? I have so much to learn, I have a red dot thing on it that I know nothing about right now, nor the battery motor with left and right buttons on. I feel I am in the deep end but I hope to get my head around it with research. They very kindly bought me this so I really hope to make use of it and may even enjoy it. Also I see moon filters about, do I need one to protect my eyes from damage when looking at the moon ? Or is it not bright enough to cause lasting damage ? 

Thanks all. 

Hi 'Blaze' and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

The smaller scope is your 'finder'. This needs to be aligned with the OTA, (this is the bigger one), on a distant object, (ie 1mile/2kms away minimum).

1. start off with the lowest powered e/p, normally a 25mm Plossl.

2. centre the object in the OTA, then centre it in the finder.

3. increase to the next e/p, normally a 10mm Plossl..

4. repeat as '2' above.

5. If you have a Barlow lens, though not a neccessary purchase, repeat all steps as above.

Before you start all of the above, does or did the 'scope come with a tool for collimation? (usually a 'Cheshire e/p' or collimation/collimating cap), if not these can be purchased via the sites sponsor FLO or other astro outlets for a few pounds (£/GBP). This is a tool for ensuring the objects are as near to being 'perfect' circles when slightly de-focussed, if that makes sense. You may be lucky and  get away with it to start with. Newtonian reflectors do need re-collimating once in a while throughout their lifetime

Moon filters - bit of mixed this one because everyone has their own opinion. I personally find them useful when the Moon's phase is past half. I will use either a 'fixed' or a 'variable'. Now for the differences... 'Fixed' means one filter off an attenuation of between 12% or 25% (+/-). 'Variable' means two filters and you can rotate them to reduce the Moon's glare by as much as 10% to 30% (+/-). Both types screw on the nosepiece end of the e/p. Just don't overtighten! It is not bright enough to cause longterm damage, but plays havoc if your eyes are 'dark-adapted'.

One other thing... don't worry if the image is upside down or reversed. This is perfectly normal in astro-scopes!

Last and best of all... enjoy! :icon_salut:

Phew, thanks for the info :) All very technical to me right now but I know I will get used to all the terms. You see I have never even looked through a telescope before let alone owned one, so everything is very new. I appreciate all your help :) I will make sure I do as you suggest when I take it outside, been too cloudy the last few days.

Thanks again !

Do not leave the telescope outdoors. Not in England.

It will get soaked with rain and dew and be destroyed. You can put a bike under a bike or barbecue cover but they still get damp, no good for a telescope.

After use they need to be aired out to remove dampness from dew (and ice) in a nice dry heated room. You may have an utility room, conservatory or even a heated shed.

Failing that break it down and haul it in. Don't pack any of it away until it is thoroughly dry.

Dampness is not good for mirrors and lenses. Over time you will get mold/fungus growing and as it does it destroys the surfaces and coatings.

I have refractor that comes in, sits on the table over night and by morning it's clear of moisture. Then when it's in it's case it has a moisture absorbing bag in the case too.

So leaving a big Dobsonian outside using some kind of all-weather cover is a definite no?

You just said "all-weather cover", that is so not plastic sheeting, if it is really all-weather; it's not just rain, it's the damp that gets inside.

I have a weather-proofed camera. It cost me £1300 quid. I am so not leaving it in the garden shed.

Have a look at the Telegizmo 365 covers. They are expensive but do a superb job of protecting your investment. I swear by them and have kept all my equipment dry & damp free in the most appalling weather. I think the secret is that they have an internal thermal shield which not only keeps heat out but keeps heat in to some extent.

Archived