Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binocular collimation - TWO screws?

Hi all,

First post here, and absolute beginner, so please be gentle. Also, apologies if this has been answered before - I searched first, as per good forum etiquette, but while I'm sure this topic has been discussed endless times, my actual question is quite specific. So, here goes...

I got a pair of these recently: http://www.ukhobbystore.co.uk/binoculars/177-magnivisionpro-hd4-15x70-binoculars.html Nothing special but I researched and found these recommended as a good first step to getting acquainted with the night skies.

However, I've got the dreaded 'double vision' effect. I found this guide to collimation which looked just the ticket: http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/articles/how-to/%E2%80%9Ccollimating%E2%80%9D-binoculars-r408

It's this paragraph that's causing me grief: "There’s More Than One Screw: The second thing you need to know is there are two prisms in each eyepiece, and THERE ARE TWO PRISM TILT SCREWS ON THE OUTSIDE OF EACH EYEPIECE PRISM HOUSING. By this time, you have already found one of the screws, near the back end of the binoculars, on top of the prism housing, just under the rubber edge. The other screw is on the prism housing towards the front very nearly behind the binocular pivot bar. With the binoculars setting on a table, consider up to be 12 o’clock. Facing as you would if you were viewing thru the binoculars, for the left eyepiece, if the first screw you found is located at 11 o’clock near the back of the housing, then the other screw is exactly 90 degrees or at 2 o’clock and towards the front. Likewise, for the right eyepiece, if the first screw you found is located at 1 o’clock near the back then the other screw is exactly 90 degrees or at 10 o’clock and towards the front."

As the guy says, I found the first set of screws near the back end easy  enough, under the rubber edge, and I've tried adjusting them. But they only seem to adjust vertical collimation. I also need horizontal collimation and I'm certain that's what the second set of screws must do. And try as I might, I just cannot find the second set. I've looked under the rubber housing but it's been glued on at the edge and I'm not keen on peeling it off without being sure there are screws under there.

So, question is: Do you have a similar (or identical) set of binoculars, and if so, can you tell me where the second set of screws is hidden? Is it under the rubber? Am I definitely going to find them if I peel the glued rubber off? Or are they actually inside the prism housing somewhere? Any/all recommendations welcome.

Thanks

Brendan

Archived