Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ryan's ongoing thread of questions...

ryandsimmons

Hi all,

I am still making baby steps into the world of AP and am brimming with questions.  Rather than keep starting threads, I thought I would stop clogging the form and keep them here.

So far I am quite chuffed with what I am getting.  Nothing amazing, but some recognisable images that make me happy, if nowhere near the quality displayed on the board in general.

Here is what I have so far:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8992108@N07/

The equipment I have is:

Celestron c8 XLT (F10)

Celestron CG5 Mount

Canon EOS 1000D (Unmodded.)

Neximage Solar System webcam

Currently I am able to get decent 30 second subs but no more.  I mostly image from a fairly light polluted garden.

On my wish list is a 0.63 Focal Reducer and some form of guiding.

So Question 1: Has anyone any suggestion of cheap guiding?  The two options I am looking at are:

1. Off axis guiding with the Neximage.  I am aware that it is not optimal and needs bright stars, but I gather this is doable?  I have seen an Orion Off Axis Guider for sale for £40.
  2. The orion starshoot autoguider kit.  Which is a 50mm finderscope and an autoguider.   I understand that they are only for scopes up to 1500mm and I have 2032mm however longer term I will get a focal reducer, and I understand it will still work, just not be perfect at 2032mm?  Currently I am tempted by this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orion-StarShoot-AutoGuider-and-Orion-Mini-50mm-Guide-Scope-Excellent-Condition-/281476778007?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item418952c817

Question 2:  As a weekend project I think I will mod my EOS 1000d.  Just wondering if anyone has done this and has any advice?

Question 3: My wishlist is in this order now, just wondering if anyone has anything to add to this, or would suggest changing the order slightly?

Wishlist: 

Autoguiding

0.63 Focal Reducer

Polarscope (to reduce set up time)

LP filter for camera.

Most of my goal at the moment is getting ready to start my first multi hour exposure target of the Orion Nebula in the next few weeks.  Either with hundreds and hundreds of 30 second subs, or if I can get guiding done, move into the arcane realm of long subs for the outside, blended with short subs for the core.

Cheers in advance.

Ryan

Archived