NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A big scope !

John

Very impressive to read that it's a one man operation and that set-up only takes 45 minutes. When I see pics of these tall scopes, it makes me wonder how many objects they can actually manage to see in one night.

One would be enough for me, though... it'd definitely be the Veil. :D

Here's another behemoth: The 40-inch f/5 telescope

The home page says the finder scope is a 12.5" f/5.

:shock:

Here's a link to a (small) picture of two large scopes. On the left is a 28" F/2.5, on the right is a 41" F/2.3. A couple years after this was taken, the 28" was modified to work like the 41" because the setup for the 28" was ~40 minutes, while the 41" set up in just under 10 minutes. They may not be the "largest transportable" telescopes, but they were the largest tandem I've ever seen through. The gentleman with the 41" is in the process of making a 67" or 72" of similar design. Unfortunately, he ran into a con-artist that stole many thousands of dollars from him while claiming to grind his mirror. It's a crime above treason, if you ask me, as Mike is about as nice as they come.

bigscopes.jpg

Archived