NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M13 good and not so good

Following lots of help on this site and the tutoring of Doug on budgetastro.net. I have used Firecapture, then Deepskystacker and Photoshop to produce the following images of M13. Using EQ5 mount Celestron 8SE scope and a ASI120MC camera.

The images were taken on different nights, both nights had reasonable seeing - I think. The second image looks to be higher magnification, I may have not added the .5X focal reducer to the camera! Both images were achieved with exposures of around 50X 5 seconds.

Would welcome an comments especially on what looks like the out of focus image.

post-36789-0-66400500-1409253871_thumb.j

post-36789-0-07511900-1409253884_thumb.j

The one on the right looks very much like my first attempts at M13 before I was autoguiding and had proper focus. The cheaper option right now, which I would hazard a guess is the bigger issue, would be to fix the focus with a Bahtinov Mask. I bought one for around $15 (which the way our economy is right now is probably around 2 pound for y'all across the pond :grin: )

At 5 seconds I kinda doubt tracking is a major issue, so I'm going to through this at you from left field - it looks like you might have some coma issues too. the bahtinov focus might show that to not be true, but if it is I would make sure your telescope is properly collimated , and your target is centered on your imager

Archived