NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Seeing stars in Phoenix and Horologium from Jersey?

Matt1979

I have often wondered if the most northern stars in Phoenix and Horologium might be visible from the Channel Islands, especially Jersey and when I looked on Redshift 7 it does show a few stars in both constellations to be very close to the horizon when seen from Jersey.  However, due to their closeness to the horizon, would they actually be visible with binoculars or a telescope?  From what I can remember on Redshift 7, the magnitudes were 5 to 8.

When I was in Jersey in August last year, I saw two stars in Corona Australis - one of them being very close to the horizon.  I am not very good with measuring degrees so I am unsure how far above the horizon exactly the star was, it was around two inches above when seen with x20 binoculars.

When I was in Southsea last week, I did see some very low stars in Microscopium that were very low on the horizon.  I am not sure, even in the clearest of conditions, whether the atmosphere would effect the visibility of the lowest stars.

Archived