Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lodestar and Orion mini guide scope focus issue

Hitesh

Hi everyone, I've just tried to get into auto guiding and I'm having a torrid time. It seems I can't get my new lodestar to focus in the mini guide scope, has anyone else had this issue or am I being a numpty somewhere?

I tried using PHD along side and the screen that shows the stars in the field of view is just white no stars at all. Please help

Many thanks in advance

Hitesh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White screen in PHD, is not a focus issue, but a exposure issue. (although focus is extremely tight on finder guiders.)

I really struggled to get my focus right on my F guider, so I suggest you try a day light run to get the camera exposure and focus right.

Anything beyond about 100 meters is at infinity focus, which you can make a mark on the camera to measure the focus point, then at night, you can fine tune it.

Best of luck.

PHD does the exposure on point light source, so any distant point of light will work.

However I did some testing in my lounge using the green light from my sky box.

Phd2 does a pretty good auto exposure on my cam, not sure about yours.

You could try google /search this forum for your camera and exposure settings.

I know when I did planetary 30ms was good.

Then just play with the gain. This is set in the camera settings.

Edit: not to be confused with PHD seeing setting next to brain.

Archived