NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Options for cooling a modified DSLR?

My Canon D450 is due back very soon from being modified, and I was wondering what are my options for cooling the camera. I've seen that JTW Astronomy sell a unit that makes make contact with the rear of the sensor's PCB or the like and has an external fan cooled outlet etc.

Or one could place the whole body in some sort of thermally sealed box thing with a fan blown Peltier element?

Does atone know of some suitable third party units, like this JTW one, but of a more sensible price?

Thanks.

My Canon D450 is due back very soon from being modified, and I was wondering what are my options for cooling the camera. I've seen that JTW Astronomy sell a unit that makes make contact with the rear of the sensor's PCB or the like and has an external fan cooled outlet etc.

Or one could place the whole body in some sort of thermally sealed box thing with a fan blown Peltier element?

Does atone know of some suitable third party units, like this JTW one, but of a more sensible price?

Thanks.

Hi Mathew,

To be honest by the time you have messed around with JTW sort of cooling boxex and simillar you'd be better off buying a QHY8L as it works out cheaper and is a lot more effective. The great majority of cooled DSLRs are DIY jobs using a Peltier cooler normally salvaged  from a mini fridge and involves a lot of messing about with the sensor housing. This is fun as a project but really not  for the faint hearted.

Regards,

A.G

Archived