NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW 50 x 9 finder and ASI 120MC as guide scope setup

I want to turn my finder into a guide scope and use my ASI 120 camera with it
I understand I need an adapter that can be purchased from Modern Astronomy to adapt the finder scope to mount the ASI
looking on the site I'm thinking its the "T adapter for straight through" at £28 is this the correct one for my setup

and will my ASI screw onto this or is the nose piece needed (I have one for the ASI)

also I'm a bit worried about the stability of the 50 x 9 on the supplied mount
I find it can move pretty easily knocking it off center, is there any way to improve the holder to make it more stable

as I will need to use the finderscope for initial setup then change over to the cam for guiding

I already use EQMod and PHD and have the "ST4" cable that came with my ASI camera
is there anything else I need

I want to turn my finder into a guide scope and use my ASI 120 camera with it

I understand I need an adapter that can be purchased from Modern Astronomy to adapt the finder scope to mount the ASI

looking on the site I'm thinking its the "T adapter for straight through" at £28 is this the correct one for my setup

and will my ASI screw onto this or is the nose piece needed (I have one for the ASI)

also I'm a bit worried about the stability of the 50 x 9 on the supplied mount

I find it can move pretty easily knocking it off center, is there any way to improve the holder to make it more stable

as I will need to use the finderscope for initial setup then change over to the cam for guiding

I already use EQMod and PHD and have the "ST4" cable that came with my ASI camera

is there anything else I need

The problem is not the finder but the spring loaded third support. Some people take this out and replace it with a third screw as the spring will  cause all sort of problems with guiding. I use my ASI 120 with a 50mm guidescope that I bought from Sky's the Limit  last year for about £79.00. It is the same item as the Orion mini guider. This way the finder is kept as a finder and the guider does a proper job as it is solid.

A.G

I thought about a dedicated guide scope but its where and how to mount it

and I think that would need to wait till I upgrade to the HEQ6 as my current EQ5 is already overloaded for imaging

The weight of this one is exactly the same as a finder guider as they are basically the same. All you have to do is remove the finder and replace it with the guider as it fits the same base.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/370604470572?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

A.G

Archived