Canon 500f/4

Hi all,

This is my first post on this form. I want to get in to astrophotography and have a question i would like to ask.

I am going to buy an EQ6 PRO Skyscan mount and a Evostar-120 or 80 pro for this reason the problem is I have a Canon 500f/4 lens that i use for wildlife photography. So the question is, could i use the canon lens on the mount and get good results.

Thanks.

jasper

Yes you could with one caveat - the glass used in the Canon lens will impart some achromatic aberrations to your images and this *may* result in some coloured halos around bright stars. These halos can be reduced in post processing. Some of my favourite astro images have been taken with a Canon 200mm L series f2.8 telephoto so be assured that it can be done.

The ED80 Pro would be the better choice for astro imaging for this very same reason - the ED80 has ED glass (extra dispersion) and this resolves the issue of chromatic aberration for the most part!

Archived