SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pelican Nebula - Narrowband or L(Ha)RGB?

OzDave

I'm capturing a few hours worth of Ha data on the Pelican nebula tonight. This will either serve as luminance for an LRGB shoot, or will be the Ha channel in narrowband.

Wondering which way to go with this. I've googled and found many different versions of this target in both RGB and narrowband. I suspect though, given the moon situation for the next few nights, that this one might be a narrowband project, though I will have opportunity later in the month to get RGB when the moon is away.

What do people think though? Is this target best is narrowband or LRGB?

David

I'm capturing a few hours worth of Ha data on the Pelican nebula tonight. This will either serve as luminance for an LRGB shoot, or will be the Ha channel in narrowband.

Wondering which way to go with this. I've googled and found many different versions of this target in both RGB and narrowband. I suspect though, given the moon situation for the next few nights, that this one might be a narrowband project, though I will have opportunity later in the month to get RGB when the moon is away.

What do people think though? Is this target best is narrowband or LRGB?

David

Hi David,

With the Moon around the only effctive filter is a very narrow Ha and then Sii, the Oiii is a no go I am afraid so you have to wait till a moonless night to do the Oiii with quite long subs.

A.G

Hi David,

With the Moon around the only effctive filter is a very narrow Ha and then Sii, the Oiii is a no go I am afraid so you have to wait till a moonless night to do the Oiii with quite long subs.

A.G

Hmmm, ok. I'm doing 20 minutes subs tonight in Ha. I'll try to get the Sii tomorrow night. Then I guess wait till later in the month for the Oiii.

Presumably 20 minutes will be ok for Sii and Oiii ?  The Ha is looking pretty nice at 20mins, but then that is obviously the predominant emission.

But... if I have to wait till later for the Moon to be away anyway, should I be thinking about an RGB shoot? Still can't make up my mind on this. Maybe I'll have to get both sets of data when the Moon allows.

Hmmm, ok. I'm doing 20 minutes subs tonight in Ha. I'll try to get the Sii tomorrow night. Then I guess wait till later in the month for the Oiii.

Presumably 20 minutes will be ok for Sii and Oiii ?  The Ha is looking pretty nice at 20mins, but then that is obviously the predominant emission.

But... if I have to wait till later for the Moon to be away anyway, should I be thinking about an RGB shoot? Still can't make up my mind on this. Maybe I'll have to get both sets of data when the Moon allows.

You can start with 1200s for Oiii, I think that you'd need 1.5 times of the Ha integration time for Oiii and Sii and good luck.

A.G

Archived