Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New ASI120MM S

Andy Milner

The images online from the new USB3.0 asi120mm s. Look quite stunning. The fps is staggering.

I've been thinking of ordering one when it's released and it's just been released on ZWO's website with free worldwide shipping.

ZWO are offering a bundle to include their Manual Filter Wheel and RGBL filter set. The price converted to £'s is £332 which is quite reasonable I think.

My only concern is it will be my first go at using a mono camera with filters. So I know from reading online that Baader and other known brands will give higher quality filters but at much higher prices.

If I order the ASI120mm s without the filter wheel and filters it's £100 less. So could I get a better filter wheel and filter set for a similar price of £100 ?

Link to the As120mm s

http://www.zwoptical.com/Eng/Cameras/ASI120S/index.asp

Cheers!

Andy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get it from the ZWO site there may be import duty and VAT to pay on it, which could be 25% extra.

Which may make the offer a little less interesting.

I think people who have ordered direct have generally also had to pay Duty+VAT.

So very close to £300 for the camera alone, £420 for the camera, filter wheel and filters.

If the idea is to use with the 200P then the 130MM is around with slightly bigger pixels but also a bigger chip, no idea what the fps etc are but it may be a better match to the scope. It also appears to cost less. However not sure of the availability of the 130MM.

Sorry to throw other considerations in.

130MM has less sensitive sensor so it's not that much interesting. Bigger pixels aren't also needed for a Newtonian. If it was like a f/25 DK then it may be a factor ;)

Even with an f/5 scope and good seeing you are looking at a FWHM of around 6 microns which then matches the 130 ?

When resoutions are considered based on a 1000mm scope then you are easily into the size of the 130 pixels. A star size on a 1000mm scope with a seeing of 2" gives 10 micron pixel. Sounds good for 2x2 binning on the 130.

f/23 scopes would gives a FWHM of close to 16 microns even if the seeing were perfect, 656nm wavelength, which I think was close to the pixels I worked on 45 years ago. Anyone image with an f/23 scope ???

Also what I posted was simply for information certainly not a recommendation.

I'm using the qhy5l-II and it's very good. The asu120mm uses the same chip but with usb3.0 the fps is vastly improved. Really interests me. I did not consider import tax, so I think I will wait for uk stockists. If Any UK retailers are reading... Hint. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even with an f/5 scope and good seeing you are looking at a FWHM of around 6 microns which then matches the 130 ?

When resoutions are considered based on a 1000mm scope then you are easily into the size of the 130 pixels. A star size on a 1000mm scope with a seeing of 2" gives 10 micron pixel. Sounds good for 2x2 binning on the 130.

f/23 scopes would gives a FWHM of close to 16 microns even if the seeing were perfect, 656nm wavelength, which I think was close to the pixels I worked on 45 years ago. Anyone image with an f/23 scope ???

Also what I posted was simply for information certainly not a recommendation.

This would be the case with long exposures but in the high speed planetary world its alot different. F/20 something is about the norm.

Archived