Problem with synscan az GoTo mount.

Hi

I am new to this forum and am hoping someone can help me out.

I have just bought my first telescope a Skywatcher  1145p with the GoTo mount. After powering up the handset  I am able to use the directional keys to slew the scope but on occasions 

the keys stop working and I have to unplug and plug the power supply back in and they will work again. Further to that when I try to use the 2 star alignment set up, the scope goes through the procedure until

after it slews to the second star but the directional keys then won't work for me to fine tune it.  Again  I can't get them to work unless I power cycle the device making it impossible  to align the scope.

My son bought me the scope from Amazon, despite being new it arrived without a warranty or any details of how to contact the manufacturers. 

If anyone here could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. 

have you tried changing slewing rate ? by default,when switched on,you might have a very slow rate and this can be barely seen.when switched on,press Rate followed by 9 and Enter and try slewing the scope and see if also then the slewing command keys become non responsive.if they do,them i am afraid your unit is faulty.As it is purchased from Amazon,you shouldnt have any issues of returning it,just contact Amazon customer services.

have you tried changing slewing rate ? by default,when switched on,you might have a very slow rate and this can be barely seen.when switched on,press Rate followed by 9 and Enter and try slewing the scope and see if also then the slewing command keys become non responsive.if they do,them i am afraid your unit is faulty.As it is purchased from Amazon,you shouldnt have any issues of returning it,just contact Amazon customer services.

Thanks for your reply. I will try changing the slewing speed and will let you know if it works. Thanks again.

When it stops working does the backlight on the handset go out? If so, it could be a power problem, either in the connector or the supply itself - do you have full voltage / charge?

As regards returning to Amazon you should have no problems, they replaced my Nexstar 4se before receiving the old one back!i

The backlight does stay on when the directional keys don't work. I have also used new batteries so I don't think it is likely to be the power supply. 

I bought it from an independent seller through Amazon and its just over 30 days so fingers crossed if I can't solve the problem I can get a new scope.

Thanks very much for for the post.

The idea is that after alignment people will usually use the handset to select a target and the scope will slew there, they will only use the directional keys for very fine movements. that is why they dont "work" , they move so slowly you cant see it without looking through the scope. 

Archived