NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star charts & books

Star charts

Over a period of some years I have collected a number of the more popular star charts in bound format, this I not about some of the very good online maps & charts.

This is an entirely personal look at what I see in them and is not meant of a 'which is best' view, I hope it helps folk on here.

The views are my own and might not agree with others, I welcome your input.

Each volume is very good in its own way.

Nortons:

I have a copy of the 20th Edition, wish I could find earlier editions just for their historic value.

This is my favourite for browsing at home. 18 maps with stars down to Mag 6, so good for naked eye as well as small telescopes and binoculars. Great help in remembering the shapes and major stars of the constellations

Each chart has an index with objects of interest such as doubles, variables, nebulae etc etc.

A reasonable Lunar map and good sections on the planets.

What adds to the 20th edition is the technical sections on OTA's, viewing and some great secions on general astronomy. This is why I rate this book very highly and would recommend it to beginners as well as experienced folk.

Cambridge Star Atlas

20 charts with mags down to 6.5, good use of colour to highlight nebulae, clusters and galaxies. Each chart has a good table with details of the objects of interest. For the Messier chasers very good lists.

I like the seasonal maps because each one has been drawn to show 4 observing latitudes so for those of you not stuck at 52N … or South you can get a better idea of the visibility of those areas you can see, and for those of us stuck at 52N we can just sit and pine for those Southern exposures we cannot see.

Again a good book for naked eye, small OTA's and binoculars.

Philips Night Sky

Great again for small telescopes and binoculars. I would say this book is aimed at beginners but there is nothing wrong with that. 8 charts which show an entire section of sky N-S with magnitudes down to 5.5, so real naked eye stuff.

Good sections of telescopes, good maps of the Moon and an nice planetary section. There is also a detail section on the 50 most significant constellations.

A very nice book aimed at beginners and I would say young astronomers with good reading ability.

Sky Atlas 2000.0

26 chars down to mag 8.5 plus a further detailed maps down to 10.5. No tables. This book is aimed at the serious amateur and beyond. Great use of colour. My edition has a clear overlay I can use to measure angular distances.

My version is A3 format so large charts and not so easy to use at the 'scope.

S&T Pocket Sky Atlas

My first four charts were larger format, this one is around sub A4, between A4 and A5...sorry I am not a printer so I do not know the proper terms for paper sizes. Printed on heavy duty paper with a gloss andring bound, so ideal for use outdoor.

80 maps down to 7.5 mag, no tables but good indices. No technical section, but this tome is aimed at those who want something to use outdoors while observing.

This is my outdoors book of choice.

I have all the ones you mention except the Nortons I have is the eighteenth edition.

I also have the Cambridge Double star Atlas and Atlas of the Night Sky by Storm Dunlop.

My two favourites and the ones that get used the most are Sky & Telescopes Pocket Atlas and The Night Sky by Storm Dunlop.

Avtar

Archived