Antares 2" x 1.6 Click Lock Barlow

Pig

Heads up ... I have noticed a few people are after this highly rated Barlow, they sell very fast and are rather difficult to get hold of.

Rother Valley have them in stock :smiley:  Mine is in the post

Hi Shaun,

Do you know if the barlow lens unscrews from the twist lock and if so it is standard 2" filter thread?

The reason I am asking is I am looking for a barlow lens to put on the telescope side of a filter wheel, so want the barlow lens 2" filter thread mounted so it sits inside the telescope focuser as I don't have the space to mount it outside.

I know that the Skywatcher ED and a GSO one does this, but have heard that the Antares is very good.

Robin

Robin,

I have not owned one before so I wouldn't like to give you a definitive answer, I think Stu and John either own or have owned one so it will be worth asking one of them :smiley:

Optically very good but the new click / twist lock mechanism and the 2" filter threading mean that this barlow needs LOTS of inwards focuser movement to get eyepieces to focus. More than any other barlow I've used. I could not use it in 2 of my 4 scopes for this reason  :sad:

The Barlow turned up in the post yesterday :smiley: Nice speedy delivery from RVO.

I was a bit concerned I wouldn't be able to achieve focus as per Johns post above and a few other threads that I read before I bought it, anyway, there were a couple of the main stars out in between the clouds and I had the chance to see if I could achieve focus.. :shocked:

Scope = Equinox 80 Pro

Eyepieces = Vixen SLV 25, 12 & 9mm

I am pleased to say I had no problems. However, it is a very close call leaving only had about a 1\2 to 1 full turn of inward focus travel spare :laugh: From the little time I had I must say the views of the few bright stars I could see were as good as if the Barlow wasn't there.

I will perform a more comprehensive review when the cloud gods permit

Archived