Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First thoughts on the FS-60CB+Q

I  have owned this little scope for over a month and still not managed first light, working away, hols and living on the wrong side of Dartmoor ... If it's going to rain or be cloudy I get it :mad: !

It was brought with every conceivable Tak adapter/flattener/reducer/extender/bells and whistles from ABS to be used as a bit of a workhorse ... Grab and go, travel, guider, finder .. slap a DSLR on it ... all covered.

F5.9 in it's standard FS-60CB form, F6.2 with the flattener, F4.2 with the reducer and  F10 in it's FS-60Q mode with an 1.7x extension throw in the extender and its up to F16 with a focal length 960mm ... a work horse supreme

As a travel scope it will excel ... think Borg .. light with the ability to strip down to smaller components.

How does it perform ?... I managed half an hour last night, scope nights gave it cloudy and when I went to bed it was, but having always worked strange shift patterns I wake up at all times, if I go to bed at 10pm I will be out of bed before 4am, never sleeping longer than 6 hours, 4-5 is the norm ... heyho!

With a very small travel on the Tak focuser using a 2" diagonal I thought I might struggle to achieve focus with my Delos's  ... it was the other way, thank goodness for shallow 2'-11/2" adapters, from 17.3mm to 6mm I could achieve focus and what a surprise  :grin:  this little fella punches well above its weight, using Delos EP's and an Everbrite diagonal .. pin sharp stars at the centre of view (I thought they looked a little elongated at the edge of the FOV but it could be my eyes) and glorious contrast, silly as it sounds once the weather sorts it's self out I shall do a comparison against my 130mm APM CNC because I did think the stars looked sharper than it ... and I'm not having that! :eek:  My APM is my pride and joy :rolleyes: .

Big brother is sat in the wings  waiting... Rings are being sorted/ repaired and re-machined to an ADM PCD then its out with the big guns ( weather dependant )  If this little fella is anything to go by then the FS-152 just might be THE visual 6" Frac ... We shall see.

Mark

post-19425-0-15671800-1402477259_thumb.j 

Snap.  I acquired my FS-60 CB two weeks ago and have yet to get first light.  I also bought the 76mm objective upgrade which turns the 60 into the FC-76 DC (f/7.5).  As I understand it, the extender Q is compatible with it which would be quite something making it a 76mm f/12.

Here is the 76mm objective in action.  I switched the standard Tak focuser for a light weight feather touch.

post-24651-0-87621300-1402477795_thumb.j

Looking good there Matthew ... I am very impressed with it, and only after half an hour of chasing gaps in clouds. Focuser feels smooth and tight ,were as the FS-152 focuser feels a bit off, the big Tak focusers on the 152 were reported to be a bit of a let down and the chap I brought it from did confirm this ... New adapter ordered from Starlight instruments and shall swap over the 3.5" Featherlight from my APM, if the scope becomes a "keeper" then shall treat it to a new 3.5" featherlight.

Mark

No never posted about it ... raved about it a few times though :grin:  and never failed to name drop it ... a few times :grin: ..... SUPERB, STUNNING a fantastic 5"  But I have never had something to measure it against     till now :evil:  (I cannot envisage any thing better or with such clarity at 5") , I plan to do a head to head just to satisfy myself really, two scopes two mounts side by side ..same diagonal same Ethos just to see if the Fluorite  Tak lives up to its reputation as one of the ultimate visual Fracs. And to tell the truth I secretly want the APM to come out tops, my coffin is going to be an odd shape as the APM is coming with me lol.

Shall post once I have done a comparison ... should think in the Autumn .

Ps anybody with an AP want to join me?  :grin:

Archived