I started :-)

Okay, so before you guys laugh, let me jsut say. This is my first scope, and the first time I actually used the it. And the weather really isn't playing along here in Cape Town.

So out I went this evening for a bit of spotting, and the only object I could get my scope to focus on, which almost all first time spotter look for (i hope so), was the moon. I said don't laugh! :-)

Anyway, it looked super, massive craters, nice clear and crisp sighting, for a scope that cost me a half bottle of vodka :-), it wasn't bad at all.

But I found 3 problems while using it.

I can't touch the thing while I have focus, it shakes like crazy for about a minute. This is something I can possibly fix.

Secondly, from the position I was in, the quarter of the moon that was visible, half of it literally filled my whole eyepiece. (get another scope)

And lastly, is there anyway I could somehow get a larger eyepiece for this scope. It's a real pain trying to focus through such a small glass. Possibly with a rubber eye pad or something.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Cedric

First of all, congrats on your view of the moon.It is where most of us started so nobody will laugh (or even snigger). If the scope cost half a bottle of vodka, you have done well (the view through almost any scope must be better than through the bottom of a bottle of vodka ;)). It would helpif you told us what scope you have, so we can give better advice. The shake problem you descrbe is common in cheap scopes with flimsy tripods and mounts. Sometimes changing the mount is the solution, sometimes it is cheaper to change the entire scope.

Hi,

great that you had a bit of clear skies to use your telescope :-)

The mount and cheap eyepieces of your kit are the main problem, but you can indeed improve things :-)

So you have a 60mm 700 refractor on plasric-y mount,

Barlow 3x, erecting eyepiece 1.5x, sr4mm eyepiece and 12mm Hyugens, and a moon filter.

Sadly, all of them are not that good. The usual plastic barlows and erecting eyepieces are usually trash.

The 4mm has a small eye lens and short eye relief.

Best from the set is the 12.5mm and the (green?) moon filter.

Mod 1: The mount

If you have a sturdy camera tripod, adapt the telescope to the camera mount with some wood, a nut, and broad zip ties and some foam rubber so the tube does not get dents.

Alternatively do not extend the tripod fully, some report filling the legs with sand helps.

But: The mount on the tripod is just not very good...

Mod 2:

Eyepieces

25 or 30mm Plössl, 15€/12£ (700mm focal length devided by 30mm eyepiece equals 23.3x magnification)

6mm UWA 66 degree eyepiece, 24-40€ / 21-35£ with film can mod to make it into a 4-5mm but that's already a tad much for 60mm aperture. The 6mm is a nice Wide Angle eyepiece.

Alternatives are a 6.5mm Plössl eyepiece for 8£/9€, but it has a verrry short eye relief, so basically the same problem as your 4mm, peehaps a bit better but I would advise against it.

Another option is a better 2x Achromatic barlow, starting at 11£/13€, they work much better then th Kit barlows but still reduce the contrast. Another eyepiece would be a better choice.

Before you spend too much on eyepiece, please be aware that for 50-120£ you can get a better telescope (showing more details), some with better kit eyepieces ;-)

The cheap eyepieces mentioned are with little to no risk though.

A lot of people have started off with similar scopes like that. It sounds like the one I started off with. my first scope was a cheap Tasco brand that promised fantastic views of the Universe. The trick is not to fret. With a few modifications you will be amazed at what those little cheap scopes will do. With my little cheap scope I completed the Astronomical Leagues Lunar List with it. Now my son is using the same scope in ways that I never though possible. Just hang in there and don't feel frustrated when you see someone talking about their big high tech telescope that took a 2nd mortgage to pay for.  The telescope is only a tool that you can use to untold wonders of the night sky. If your little telescope really frustrates you to the point of giving up, get a pair of cheap binoculars. Most people over look how much one can see with binoculars. Once again, don't give up and ask questions. Stargazers from around the world love to help each other out. It os one of the great things in this hobby.    

Archived