NGC2024 - Horsehead - just

Robd

Ok so finally got the beast aligned - still not 100% but managed 1min exposures. After a few goes at M42 I thought I would finish off with a laugh and have a go at the horsehead nebula before it dissappeared behind the power cable pole only 10ft in front of the scope so has a bit of an effect .

Pentax K10D, baader contrast booster, Skywatcher 150 f5

Stacked in imageSXM DHSFg2AC ( thats D - Dark Subtract, H - Fix Hot pixels, S - Subtract sky glow, F - Flatten, g2 - gamma level 2,,A - Align, C - combine )

9 x 60s at iso400 + 21 x 60s at iso 800

3770_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Given the conditions - there seemed to be a lot of moisture in the air, I am quite pleased with this for a first attempt. Ok the horse head can only just be seen but it's more than I expected :D.

Now then if I have sorted out polar alignment I can go on to guiding and try for longer exposures.

Comments, critique as always welcome.....

Rob

I'm looking with my computer at work which is naff for showing up faint stuff so I can't make out the horsehead. The flame is showing. The stars are looking good with some lovely colouration.

Another stacking software that I'm not familiar with. Don't know what the flatten is supposed to do and I don't like the sound of "subtract sky glow" and "gamma level 2". I think it's best to do histogram adjustments manually if you can.

This image looks very promising Robd and it looks like you are on your way to producing some high quality stuff

This is a difficult beast - especially when trying to capture it unguided and unmodded - I spent a good few hours last night fiddling with my attempt at this, I'll post it tonight.

I think the secret is longer subs & more of them - if nothing else your Flame nebula should improve with this :D

cheers

RB

Archived