Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M3 LRGB TeleVue NP127is + 0.8x reducer

ChrisLX200

Another glob, this time M3 - and also an LRGB. 7 x 300sec per channel. You may wonder why a refractor should produce a diffraction spike, and I wondered that myself! Upon stripping the optical train down I discovered a sliver of dry paint maybe 2-3x thickness of a human hair and maybe 20mm long had come off and attached itself to the field lens of the reducer. That was the cause of the spike :)   This image was taken without my LPAS filter and the light pollution was obvious in the form of gradients and red colour cast, neither have been completely processed out.

M3LRGB_zpsc6f93b59.jpg

ChrisH

I think the core is not as compact as M92 so I got lucky, I would normally go for 10min subs but that would certainly have blown it. These were all 5min subs. The 490EX doesn't have a big well depth (about 18K IIRC) so at f/4.16 using the reducer it is all too easy to quickly saturate the stars.

ChrisH

Archived