NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A simple SynScan settings helper that I made

Hello everybody!

While I was researching on what (first) telescope I should buy, I noticed that telescopes with SynScan need to have their location coordinates, time, date, timezone & daylight saving time entered each time you set up the scope (unless you have an additional GPS-accessory for your mount, I assume... although we all have a GPS in our pockets anyway). 

Now, I know myself... I usually have no idea when I'm in DST or not, and I'd prefer that all the info would be arranged in a clear way so I won't need to go to Google Maps to check coordinates, and then search Google whether I'm in DST or not :)

So I made this simple tool using Javascript and HTML5 (hosted on GoogleDrive right now) :

https://googledrive.com/host/0B2fKtfCNil86VVFndUFILW8xQjQ

I only tested it on my iPhone so far...

There might be some bugs regarding Timezone or DST, but it doesn't seem like there should be.

And I'm still not sure regarding compass directions (N, S, etc) in the coordinates, but I'll sort it out when I get some free time again :)

It also shows a static image (from Google Maps) of the detected coordinates, so it would be clearer how accurate the detection was, and I think I can get it to do a more accurate detection if I could get that option to actually work xD

There might be something like this out there already, I didn't really check... I just went for it :)

I have no idea if this is of any value at all, since I don't have a SynScan device (or even a telescope) yet,

but I guess it was a way to vent out some excitement of getting a telescope, and some frustration that I'm still not sure what telescope I'd get yet... hehe

Any comments, suggestions, or criticisms are welcome!

Screenshot from my iPhone,

after opening the page in Safari, and saving it to the home-screen:

synscanscreenshot.jpg

(no stalkers, please.. lol)

Hey, that's good to know!  Thanks :) 

But what if you go out on different locations each session? It would be inevitable to enter the location coordinates, wouldn't it? 

Of course, I'm sure there are much better solutions for this, but I just had to code something while I'm sorting things out on which telescope to buy  (^_^

Archived