NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Poor seeing conditons tonight ?

John

I was another one who missed out last night due to work commitments this morning. We actually had some cloud cover during the early part of the evening so I was not feeling too bad about not setting up then but when I had a peek outside before I turned in I could see the conditions were excellent  :rolleyes2:

Still, it's only a hobby and sometimes other things have to take precedence.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nice thing for me being home based, no travel,  and my work is based in south America right now, they are a few hours behind. I can always get that extra few hours of kip when I need it, it does often mean I am still working in early evenings though. I'd rather if it was normal time and could do without some of those late online meetings, but it does have it benefits for astro at times :smiley:

The nice thing for me being home based, no travel,  and my work is based in south America right now, they are a few hours behind. I can always get that extra few hours of kip when I need it, it does often mean I am still working in early evenings though. I'd rather if it was normal time and could do without some of those late online meetings, but it does have it benefits for astro at times :smiley:

That sounds a mixed blessing Alex but longer in bed is handy if you are up late the previous night !

I'm technically retired but I do odd pieces of work now and then, today being one of them.

As Chris posted, have a look at the 300-250 Mb (hPa) GFS charts to get an idea of expected "churn". Or if you like something a little more interactive have a go with this, click "Earth" bottom left for options): http://earth.nullschool.net (can control what, where and when through the URL, so for example, midnight tonight, 250hPa wind over NW Europe: http://earth.nullschool.net/#2014/05/15/2100Z/wind/isobaric/250hPa/orthographic=-6.29,49.53,1366

Cheers

Ian

Fabulous site Ian, not seen that one before & very handy being able to select the altitude.

Usefulness aside, I found the graphics quite mesmerising!

Archived