NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Its Tuesday evening...a SW 150p and a new Canon 100d...what to go for?

Hi everyone - I've got a Skywatcher 150p eq3 and a brand new Canon 100d - tonight is one good night of weather for the rest of the week! So what shall I go for? I was thinking M13? Anything else? I have APT on my laptop and I was thinking of getting that to do all of the shots as I'm not sure of all the flats, lights, darks, plains, shines, not-so-shines etc etc etc to shoot (I'm reading up quickly as the sun is setting!!).

cheers for any thoughts

frank

Well if you do have clear skies then M13 would be a good starting point. If nothing else it will allow you to get things focused correctly.

As for everything else take it one step at a time... The stars will still be there tomorrow

shoot your darks directly after your lights at the same settings (Shutter & Iso speed) but with lens cap on
Bias shoot after blacks same ISO but quickest shutter speed you have again cap on

I've not used Flats yet

Thanks all, I'll use that system. I took some random shots from my Synscan dso tour...m13, bodes nebula, m3 etc. A lot of high speed random cloud. Got a snap of Mars too. All just to test out the camera. Found the live view essential especially for the bah focussing mask - tap zoom until Arcturus was large and in centre and spikes easily seen.

Moved to M13 and took a 40 sec raw. In preview mode it looked amazing. Zooming it, there was bad trailing :( 30 seconds again looked great but still some trailing. I was hoping I hadnt knocked the mount from its polar alignment.

I got one of the two galaxies in Bodes Nebula - no trailing (as almost overhead) but no supernova bah...missed it by a few months.

M3 was nice and Mars came out suitably round and orche.

I will post pictures tonight. Any thoughts from description of m13?

Thanks!

Archived