What is star alignment?

Hi guys I just recently purchased HitecAstro EQDIR adapter for my HEQ PRO 6 - I have not used my mount since I have got it outside its been far to cloudy/rainy! anyways I have been trying my best to understand my mount, software etc.

I now have a good understanding on how to polar align thanks to watching some great tutorials on youtube using EQMOD.

but I wanted to ask what is star alignment the procedure after polar alignment? I watched this video but not sure if it is on the same path as the subject I'm touching?

I also watched a great video explaining Drift alignment using the DARV method - is this related in someway?

I have "MAKING EVERY PROTON COUNT" still need a little help.

The polar alignment gets the mount facing as close to north as possible, the star alignment procedure tells the mount where the scope is pointing and how far it needs to drive its motors. It's all a bit of a learning curve I'm afraid, it takes a bit of time and repetition for everything to sink in, or at least that's what I've found. The equatorial mount works by rotating the scope in the opposite direction to the Earth and at the same speed, effectively staying still.

Don't worry about Drift alignment for now, it's a way of polar aligning more precisely which allows longer exposures to be taken without trailling.

Thanks for the response my understanding right now is star alignment is for better GOTO accuracy am I correct in saying that? I watched a video explaining "DARV" Drift alignment by Robert Vice (Im sure thats his name) it seemed fairly understandable using backyard EOS.

You will want to jump to 30th minute of the video

Yes, that's right, the star alignment allows the GOTO to work properly. I believe your mount will have 1, 2 and 3 star alignment options, with the latter being the most accurate. It is possible to use GOTO without star alignment, but only if the scope has been parked in the correct position from the previous session (there should be something in your manual about this).

Archived