Building a Case for Celestron 127SLT

immeasur

Hello everyone,

This is not really a DIY project.

My dad is remodelling his house and I saw an opportunity to get the carpenter to build a case for my telescope.

Now I haven't looked over the internet much for the right case but none really fit my budget or requirements. First of all, I live in India and importing a case gets way too expensive.

So, I've asked the carpenter guy to build me a case foam or sponge or something that they use in couches. He'll be building a 4feet long, 3feet wide and 3feet deep case.

Now he has never built a case for a telescope. Nor have I asked anyone to do that. Is there anything important I should be aware of?

If I could get a case built right for my telescope, I could share the design here with community and we can edit/improve it together...

Also, since it'll be built in India, other fellow stargazers from India could also get one super cheap.

Or has anyone ever built one for themselves? Am I going the right way?

Or is there a store in India which

Does sell cases for telescope?

Please share your thoughts and experiences...

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Do you plan on ever moving the box? or is it a stationary storage box?

I built this from 1/4 plywood. It is 4 feet long by 18 inches by 18 inches. I fitted wheels at one end to trundle it around. With the scope and eyepiece case in it, I can only just lift it up on my own, and it is difficult to get in and out of doors on my own ( easy with one person lifting each end ).

scope3.jpg

A 4 x 3 x 3ft case is huge. Are you keeping the Hubble space telescope in it?

My apologies for messing up the size. The post was written in a bit of haste.

Yes, he did warn me about the weight. it could go up to 25-30 kilos, including 8-9 kilos of the telescope itself. But I'm okay with it. I'm not going to move it frequently. As long as it fits in my car's trunk.

That's better! I fitted some removable wheels to one end, and there's some webbing handles on both ends, so mine can either be lifted by the two handles or pulled along behind me. It's amazing how much extra stuff I can get in the box such as my laptop, imaging cameras, flat field panel etc.

My scope sits in two half inch plywood hoops, lined with felt. The top of the loop hinges open to lift the scope out.

I have a separate flight case for the NEQ6 mount, and the tripod I transport loose.

scope4.jpg

Archived