NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Declination Question on EQ4 mount

Shouldn't the declination be pointing at 90 degrees when scope is in neutral e.g directly in front? This is a secondhand mount that i didn't setup.

hajunyhu.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know that mount, but it looks about right.

I guess the black cap at the front is the cap covering the polarscope (or the hole) which marks the axis of RA. The dec axis will rotate at right angles to the RA axis.

If you rotate your RA by 90 degrees then your "saddle" or whatever your scope connects to will then be at 90 degrees with respect to the ground, if that is what you mean....

I'm not sure i understand the question. But it looks normal from that one image, other than the RA is pointing at about 5-10 degrees which is ok if you live near the equator but not much use if you live at 52 degrees.

More pictures and a clarified question please if this hasn't helped.

Good luck.

Jd

You need to set it up yourself so that when you park the scope it's in the "home position" and "polar aligned". To do this you would set the mount vertical (use a spirit level) and turn the Dec through 90 degs in order to see the pole star through the weights bar (a hole is provided for that purpose).

Adjust the mount to your latitude (using the altitude bolts) - and use the azimuth bolts to get the pole star in the reticule in the small circle on the circumference of the larger circle. The pole star should track the circumference of the larger circle when RA is turned through 360 degs. When it's polar aligned - turn the Dec back through 90 degs so the scope (once mounted) and finder, has the pole star central and then you're ready to observe. :)

(I never bother with the setting circles - they're only very approximate and not large enough to be totally accurate)

Do a YouTube search for Astronomyshed, there are some very useful videos there on setting up a mount. The closest to yours will probably be the EQ5 mount but at least you will get a good idea of what to do.

Archived