NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meet the manager of historic Washburn Observatory

Kirscovitch

My dad found this on my towns public library website:

The Antigo Public Library Foundation is pleased to bring Prof. Jim Lattis, the manager of historic Washburn Observatory, to introduce you to the spring stars, the planet Jupiter, a prominent feature in the evening sky, and the total lunar eclipse expected later this spring.
Mr. Lattis, Ph.D., teaches astronomy at UW-Madison and gives frequent public talks and media interviews, including on National Public Radio.
Prof. Lattis will present this program in the library's McGinley Room beginning at 6:30 p.m. We will then move to a nearby city park where we will have the opportunity to view the evening skies with telescopes beginning around 8 p.m. Refreshments will be served during the interim break. The adjournment to the park will only be a 5 minute walk from the library, in the small park area behind Lakeside Pharmacy.
Prof. Lattis' program is made possible through the UW-Speakers Bureau and the APL Foundation.
Good things I have Sundays off otherwise I would have to call in sick to work. Not all the time I have the chance to meet a professor who teaches astronomy at the biggest college in the state. Should be interesting. Weather permitting there will be a viewing of the sky in a nearby park. Wonder what kind of scopes he will have. 

Looks like a good place, suppose Observatory Dive is a bit of a clue.

Is Observatory Drive Scenic Overlook scenic?

Just reading that close by is the parking lot for Badger Football.

Is "Badger Football" not considered a cruel sport? :eek:

How do you roll them into a ball and stop them unrolling and running away? :rolleyes:

OK, time to stop winding up our US friends. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Enjoy the evening.

Ooh, that was post 3900.

In 100 I metamorphosize I think into something else.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is a clear night, and since he is driving almost 3 hours from Madison, I wonder what kind of scopes he will bring. I'm thinking they will be smaller and more portable. Would it be rude to let him use my 10" dob?

If he is travelling then anything he brings will have to go in a car, even if a big car/SUV. Also possible, even probable, that he will load up more then 1.

If unsure about the 10" just say that it is available if he needs/wants to use it.

That way the decision is his.

Since transporting SCT/Maks and refractors is simpler to know that a dobsonian is available could be relevant.

Was a pretty nice evening. About 30 people showed up. (none owned telescopes) He went through the basics of finding the 3 major planets of this month and went into a little detail of the eclipse in April.

After the presentation we moved to a small park about 2 blocks away from the library. He brought with him a Celestron CPC 925. Or thats what I think he brought. I never did ask what it was but looking online that's what I found.

Clouds were patchy and after a while he got the scope aligned and let us view Jupiter. I must say that I was impressed at the view with this scope. I asked what EP he had in and he told me it was 40mm. If this was the case I was very impressed at the view it gave.

All in all it was a good night. He had a handout that was free and it was the history of astronomy in Wisconsin. I have not read the whole thing yet as it actually a small book but it sounds like we have had some good contributions to the science.

Archived