Opticstar px-35c

Hi all

Picked up a px-35c with the intention of using it for short imaging runs and some guiding.

Just in case anyone else is thinking of getting one of these, the website quotes max exposure time as 6.4 minutes. Actual maximum is 4.6 minutes. I've emailed Opticstar, seems like an error that could cost them a lot of returns.

My actual question about this was to do with guiding. 

Camera works fine in sharpcap etc. but PHD won't connect to it. The camera is listed under WDM mode but no connection is made - the 'begin cycling' button is not activated.

Anyone got any ideas? Meta Guide sees it just fine.

cheers

Chris

Thanks Pat for responding to my post, I have contacted them already but didn't have any luck. George said it's not an autoguiding camera (technically correct but I have just tried every other webcam in the house including one built in to a laptop and they all connect in PHD!) and thinks there might be a setting to get the longer exposures. Sadly there isn't, the manual confirms that 4.6 minutes is the maximum.

cheers

Chris

No sir! Usually just pick up webcams in PHD and guide with EQMOD via my Synscan handset.

Reply from Opticstar on the PHD issue:

"The Windows DirectShow support of the PX-35C works in AMCAP (original version of this software was developed by Microsoft) and some other applications that support Microsoft’s DirectShow model. I am not sure why it does not work in PHD Guiding. Perhaps the developers of PHD Guiding they may have an explanation for it. I just do not know. There are many software applications that support DirectShow devices, it is impossible for us to support every single one of them. We just support the software that is bundled with the camera."

Don't fully understand this but looks like a non-starter. Oh well.

cheers for replying, much appreciated

Chris

BTW, 14" scope?!! WOWSER!!! That is evil!

Archived