NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please Help - Which telescope to buy?

Hi,

I am new to this forum, well I own a Celestron PowerSeeker 70AZ Telescope 

The above telescope was more of a toy but I want to be serious beginner now, therefore want to get an 8" deb telescope.

I researched and filtered these three telescopes, my budget is around $450 - $550 including the eyepiece kit

2) Orion Limited Edition SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Bundle (The classical is bit obsolete in terms of built, focuser and some other points): 

I know Orion is pretty proven but how is Astro-Tech and Zhumell? For Astro Tech, I researched the company and they seem to be more professional handling real life space projects so it could be they are more "improved" with the design? 

Focal length and aperture are the same in all. Which one would have better optics?

Would really appreciate some thoughts, advice and comments for my decision of buying one. Also would like some more suggestions.

Thanks!

Firoz

Astro-Tech are fairly good, more known for refractors. I think that they buying items and they are badged AT or they are assembled by AT then carry their name. So somewhere there will be other 8" f/5.9 reflectors under a different name but identical.

I think however that AT do a reasonable check on their items, so what comes out should be reasonably good.

Zhumell also have a reasonable name.

Just read that you say they are all the same dia and focal length, so very very likely they are all in effect the same, and from the same source.

Neither Zhumell or AT's are exactly common here, but from reading the US forum I suspect that Zhumell is likely to be the safer option.

Not sure of the AT site you are refering to. This is the astronomy/scope AT I am used to.

https://www.astronomytechnologies.com/

The other two are better than the Orion which is not so nicely spec'd. And of those two there's not a lot between them on paper - I'd go for the Zhumell purely cos of the right angled finder which you'll find is a distinct advantage. :)

@ ronin - yes I am referring to the same website. Things look all the same on paper but do you guys think there would be difference between the optics?

Anyone had Astro Tech telescopes experience? would like to hear from them as well.

Since I will be keeping this scope for another 2-3 years how is zhumel's, astro-tech's and Orion's customer service, any experience? 

Also what are the disadvantages of Zhumell? 

I think their 3 years of warranty is a good deal,  which shows their confidence on the product, if bad luck then will have to tolerate hayneedle's very reputed bad service

A good friend of mine has the Zhumell 10"

He also writes reviews and provides astro training in CapeTown.

He had the Zhumell specially delivered from the US because of its

outstanding performance and reputation..

The Alt/Az action is far superior to other Dobs using teflon and such..

If I were you...I'd take the Zhumell..

Archived