NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice for Newbie about basic filters

Hello to everyone from a newbie :smiley:

I am very new to astrophotography and I was wondering about filters. I have a SW 150P which has a 2" / 1.25" focusser, but all the eyepieces etc I have are 1.25". I have various eyepieces and filters already (came as part of a kit) but no filters (I believe) that will help me with light pollution or clear sky. I don't want to spend a fortune as I will probably upgrade in years to come to 2" focussing, so I've been looking at the Skywatcher range and would like some clarification about what each of the filters do. I don't suffer too greatly from light pollution although I'm by no means in a dark sky area. The filters I have been looking at are:

1) Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter

2) Skywatcher Clear Sky Filter

3) Skywatcher Deep Sky Filter

4) Skywatcher UHC Nebula Filter

I would like to image DSO more than anything, with a bit of planetary imaging thrown in for good measure. I've heard good reports about the UHC filter, but is this a decent 'catch all' filter or will I have to purchase one of each of them depending what it is I am imaging? If so, which one would be a good starting point if I could only buy one (or two at a push!)

Regards - John

Archived